DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK's largest government department. We help people into work, and make payments worth over £195bn a year to support some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to work with us on data science-driven design and development of systems that will help to protect millions users against fraud and error.
You'll join our community of tech experts in DWP Digital. We're driving a once-in-a-generation transformation of government services, using fresh ideas and leading-edge technologies to create innovative, scalable and user-centric digital solutions.
The DWP products and services we maintain and modernise will be used by nearly every person in the UK, at key moments in their lives. The scale of what we do is extraordinary, and our scale and purpose is unique. We'd love you to join us.
Delivery. Work. Projects.
As a Senior Data Scientist working within our Integrated Risk and Intelligence Service, you'll be leading several data science projects, driving innovation through data-led insights and development, influencing the design and implementation of counter fraud and debt capabilities that will protect the genuine claims of millions of UK citizens.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Practical experience of leading innovative data-driven solutions on large or complex datasets, including gathering and manipulating disparate data, applying analytical techniques and visualising results.
- Experience with a range of data science techniques (e.g. classification, natural language processing and clustering) and associated limitations, with expertise in a number of techniques including theoretical basis and application.
- Must have SQL and Python (or similar query-based or high level programming) experience to an advanced level.
- Excellent written and oral communication, with ability to present complex analysis clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences, explain the implications of analytical evidence and provide recommendations.
- Strong stakeholder management skills and experience working with a range of people and teams to deliver results, and influencing decision-making.
- Delivery focused to create working solutions often and iteratively, applying Agile methodology and working in agile teams.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You'll join us in one of our brilliant digital hubs in London, Blackpool, Leeds or Newcastle, whichever is most convenient for you.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills, we offer a competitive salary of up to £72,771 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package starting at 26 days.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application.