Proposal & Estimating Manager
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking for a technically astute Proposals and Estimating Manager to join our growing engineering services business.
Defence Systems Technology (DST) is transforming and we need you to support our drive for growth, leading our teams through exciting and sometimes challenging situations. You'll be the business and customer focal point for all transactional tasking and complex projects across a number of engineering contracts. Focussing on requirements capture and solution generation at the early stages of opportunities, through to bid submission in a varied and dynamic engineering environment. You'll be responsible for the production of all quotations and proposals and the delivery of developed solutions to our customers, striving for maximum conversion rates of proposals to order.
You'll play a key role in growing our contracts and building strong customer relationships, implementing our ambitious strategy. You'll drive growth and the role brings bags of responsibility and the opportunity to provide a pivotal role in some key UK Defence and Security contracts.
Your responsibilities will include:
* Working as a key member of the Prime Contract Office (PCO) which provides end-to-end delivery of all contract tasking and projects, you'll be responsible for managing a team of estimating staff.
* Leading requirements capture, solution generation and pricing for new and emerging opportunities. You'll draw on expertise from our geographically-diverse teams of Project Managers, Engineers and Supply Chain personnel.
* The accurate pricing of a high volume of low, medium and high complexity tasking and projects to agreed contract SLA/KPIs.
* Ensuring risk reduction, efficiency and value for money are met, in-line with customer motivators (needs, issues, hot buttons) and business needs.
* Owning the generation of all quotation and proposals, ensuring consistent and impactful written technical and commercial offers of a high standard.
* Working closely with Babcock and customer commercial teams to ensure that solutions and pricing approaches remain in-line with contract terms, whilst being confident to challenge or support with negotiating alternatives, where required.
* Working with the Project Delivery team to identify and apply lessons learnt as part of continuous improvement for future requirements.
* Producing Management Information such as proposal and quotation conversion rates, order intake, etc.
What do I need to do the role?
You must have bid and/or proposal generation experience in an engineering environment, experience managing a portfolio of opportunities with differing demands and deadlines, experience delivering solutions with both internal resource teams and external supply chains, experience of working within the Defence and Security sector is highly desirable, direct line management experience as well as leadership in a matrix environment and experience working with senior level managers both internally and externally.
You're someone who can manage a diverse portfolio of changing priorities with a positive and flexible approach. You'll be driven but composed in nature, challenging teams to deliver their very best and delight our customers. Building strong stakeholder relationships comes naturally, ensuring that communications are clear and effective.
What else do I need to know?
* Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
* Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
* Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
* Employee Share Plan;
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments