Principal Geotechnical Engineer - Birmingham
We're currently working with an established engineering consultancy who are looking for a Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join their Geotechnical team based out of their Birmingham office.
The candidate will need to have a strong design background and be able to work within a team environment, supporting the design delivery of existing projects and the growth of the existing client base. Previous experience and knowledge of working in the rail environment is desirable.
Projects typically include the inspection and assessment of embankments, cuttings, retaining walls, culverts and drainage assets predominantly within the rail network, the consideration of options for remedial or upgrading works and the design and specification of practical solutions. The successful candidate will undertake the role of CRE and be responsible for preparation of project plans, implementing site surveys, coordinating and supervising the design teams, management and checking of designs, preparation of reports, specifications and drawings, allocation of resources, budgetary control and ensuring works are completed to project specific requirements and in accordance with our HSQE procedures. Responsibilities will also include mentoring and coaching of design engineers, liaison with clients and suppliers and development of commercial and contractual arrangements.
* Minimum of 10 years' experience within the Geotechnical industry
* Chartered Engineer
* Bachelor's degree and Masters in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering related discipline
* Strong geotechnical design/analytical capability in relation to slope stability, retaining walls, pile design, anchors, soil nails, foundations, drainage
* Experience in the preparation of construction drawings, specifications and designers risk assessments
* Good understanding of ground investigation methods and interpretation of ground investigation results
* Ability to identify and assess defects/instability features in earthworks, retaining walls and drainage systems
* Experience in the design and specification of remedial solutions and preparation of options
* Experience in preparing geotechnical desk study and interpretative reports
* Experience in managing geotechnical projects
* Experience of costing works and budget control
* Experience of liaising with clients and suppliers
* Experience of producing and working to design programmes
* Ability to work alone and within a team
* Previous appointment as CRE would be advantageous
* Knowledge of industry standard software (e.g. Slope/W, WALLAP, REPUTE, TEDDS, AutoCAD etc.)
* £35,000 - £45,000 salary DOE
* Flexible benefits package
* Career progression prospects