You will work as a senior leader in a multidisciplinary team to ensure close alignment to the technical strategy and development standards that you will also help shape and embed. You will be passionate about working on complex puzzles to benefit the smooth running the business. You are invested in developing the capability of colleagues around you, helping to shape career paths and working generously to share your own expertise and learning. You enjoy working closely with customers, learning of their needs, and translating these to features. You are confident operating to agile principles and will thrive on collaborating with technical minds across Software Engineering, as well as other teams. You will strive to remain close to the detail on emerging technologies, identifying, testing and championing their adoption where appropriate. This contract role is crucial to the ongoing success of our recently established enhancement function and represents a broad and exciting challenge for an experienced principal developer. Responsibilities
- Driving forward the quality and delivery of all products and services built by the Software Engineering enhancement function. Our application base is broad and will require regular context-switching across the span of this role.
- Understanding the needs of the internal or external customer and keeps them in mind when taking actions or making decisions. Being cognisant of the differences between needs and wants, and maintaining a strong focus on benefits, outcomes and value for money in all the work we do.
- Ensuring the skills of developers in our team are sufficient for the needs of the products and services being developed, including providing coaching and mentoring to colleagues. You will provide strong teambuilding and management skills with the ability to motivate, lead and develop a large diverse team ensuring resources are organised appropriately and effectively.
- Overseeing adequate transfer of knowledge between development and development operations and an ongoing focus on joined-up, collaborative working with colleagues across Technology, Cyber Security, Architecture, Data, Accreditation and Live Services teams.
- Operating alongside fellow Principal Developer to evolve processes, structures, and policies as appropriate to ensure maximum effectiveness based on current organisational need.
Our Principal Developer position is full stack with experience expected across:
- .NET Core and .NET Framework.
- Platform frameworks including MVC and Web API
- SQL Server and the ability to design database schemas to satisfy data storage and data retrieval requirements
- ORM experience. Specific knowledge of Entity Framework 6 and EF Core
- Creating/designing RESTful services and APIs
- Performance profiling of apps and writing performant code
- Working with Git source control
- Dependency injection container configuration
- Service orientated architecture, including the ability to consider integrations with other applications and services
- Abstracting code into core libraries and creating reusable components
- Exposure to integration testing
- Debugging and system analysis
- Awareness of Azure cloud concepts
- HTML 5
- CSS 3/SASS (or other pre-processors)
- Abiding by coding standards, suggesting improvements, and reviewing merge requests submitted by team